Summer and berries are inseparable companions. Not only is this season the perfect time to find a variety odelicious, locally-grown berries, but berries also just happen to be one of the best sources of antioxidants.Antioxidants protect us from a build-up of free radicals, which result in oxidative stress and therefore, may lead to chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Berries are also high in fibre, an important factor in improving blood sugar and insulin levels, as well as maintaining digestive health. Some berries, like strawberries, have even been shown to lower cholesterol. Blueberries are one of the most potent sources of anthocyanin, an antioxidant that can help reduce inflammation and, thus, long-term disease. Raspberries have been shown to play a potential role in lowering the risk of cardiometabolic disease, as well as improving brain health.
Try adding this simple smoothie to your daily routine and experience the vast benefits of berry consumption.
- 1 cup frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 1 cup nut milk, unsweetened
- ½ avocado
- 1 scoop Ergogenics Plant Protein Berry
- Blend berries and nut milk together until smooth.
- Add avocado and protein powder and continue to blend.
- Garnish and serve how you wish, then enjoy!