7 Top Exercises for Skateboarders
2022 Dec 25th - by
Skateboarding is a high-impact and physically demanding activity that requires a combination of strength, endurance, balance, and coordination. In order to perform your best on a skateboard and stay healthy, it’s important to incorporate a variety of exercises into your training routine. Here are some of the best exercises for skateboarders:
- Squats: Squats are great for building lower body strength, which is essential for generating power for tricks and pushes. They can be performed with or without weights and can be modified to focus on different muscle groups, such as front squats for quadriceps and sumo squats for the hips and glutes.
- Lunges: Lunges are another excellent exercise for building lower body strength, particularly in the quadriceps, glutes, and hamstrings. They can be performed with or without weights and can be modified to focus on different muscle groups, such as reverse lunges for the glutes and lateral lunges for the hips.
- Push-ups: Push-ups are a classic bodyweight exercise that targets the chest, shoulders, and triceps. They’re great for building upper body strength and can be modified to increase or decrease the difficulty, such as by elevating the feet or using a narrow grip.
- Planks: Planks are an excellent core exercise that targets the abdominal muscles, obliques, and lower back. They can be modified to focus on different muscle groups, such as side planks for the obliques and knee planks for the lower back.
- Box jumps: Box jumps are a high-intensity plyometric exercise that helps to build lower body power and explosiveness. They’re great for improving the quickness and agility needed for skateboarding.
- Deadlifts: Deadlifts are a compound exercise that targets the entire posterior chain, including the lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. They’re great for building strength and improving stability, which can help to prevent injuries on the skateboard.
- Bench dips: Bench dips are a bodyweight exercise that targets the triceps and shoulders. They can be performed using a bench or a skateboard, which makes them a great option for skateboarders.
Incorporating these exercises into your training routine can help to improve your strength, endurance, and overall performance on the skateboard. It’s important to consult with a healthcare professional or a certified personal trainer before starting any new exercise program.