Nutrition is powerful not only for transforming our physical bodies but also our mental and emotional selves. Micronutrients, like magnesium, zinc, and B-complex vitamins help support our mood and cognitive functioning. This smoothie includes 3 of the best sources of magnesium: avocado, dark chocolate and spinach. The addition of hemp protein provides a good plant-based source of zinc and the protein content helps increase zinc absorption. Strawberries are anti-inflammatory and a source of vitamin B1 which strengthens our immune systems and has been shown to be effective in combatting depression. In addition, avocado contains polyunsaturated fats which have been shown to decrease inflammation, particularly in our brains. Finally, maca powder supports hormonal health and may play a potential role in reducing anxiety and depression (likely thanks to its omega-3 fatty acid content). Give this stress-relieving smoothie a whirl and let us know what you think!
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup nut milk, unsweetened
- ½ avocado
- 1 scoop Ergogenics Plant Protein +Greens Chocolate
- 1 tspn maca powder
- cacao nibs (optional)
- Blend strawberries, spinach and nut milk together until smooth.
- Add avocado, protein powder, and maca. Continue to blend.
- Garnish with cacao nibs and enjoy!